Positive Based and Person Centered Approaches to Challenging Behaviors
Next Course Date:
How can we see “challenging behaviors” as functional indicators of needs and desires rather than “wrong actions” that need a “consequence”? This functional based approach to understanding behavior allows for true opportunities to support positive behavior change. The unique profiles of individuals that present with challenging behaviors will be presented through this functional based lens, allowing participants a deepening understanding of positive based supports and person-centered approaches to changing behavior.
During this course, participants will:
- Understand the “challenging behavior” through a functional behavior lens with a fresh perspective on understanding why others behave the way they do
- Identify positive based strategies to support people who exhibit difficult to manage behaviors
- Reframe the themes of “giving consequences for behavior” and “holding people accountable” to more person-centered approaches of uncovering values, coping with stress, teaching the role of responsibility and enhancing self-advocacy.
- Course materials, refreshments and lunch are included in the course fee
- Pre-registration is required, register early! Class size is limited
- Video/audio taping of courses is prohibited
Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the course. The course fee will be charged if cancellation is made in less than 24 hours. Registration is transferable to another person.
About the instructor
Wendy Selnes, M.A., BCBA
Wendy is a Board Certified Behavior Analyst. She holds a master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and a bachelor’s degree in Psychology with a minor in Child Psychology. Wendy has thirteen years of experience in the field of human services. She is designated as a QDDP and fulfills the qualifications of a Mental Health Practitioner. She is a partner and Senior Behavior Analyst with Brih Design, a consulting firm which offers support and services to people who exhibit difficult to manage behaviors.
This course provides 5.25 clock hours.
If you are interested in having a course presented at your facility, CLICK HERE to contact Karen Lilla.