Dementia Training: Positive Approach to Care
Click on class date below to register:
This dementia training, Positive Approach to Care, will improve participants’ ability to interact positively and effectively with people experiencing dementia or a related condition. Participants will:
- Recognize and identify differences between normal and not normal aging.
- Understand behavior changes, skill sets, and needs of those living with dementia in different stages of the disease.
- Use a variety of techniques as a care partner to create and support a positive and caring environment.
- Practice matching helping behaviors with the person living with dementia’s needs and abilities.
This course includes:
- An explanation of Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders
- Strategies to provide assistance with activities of daily living
- Problem solving approaches for challenging behaviors
- Practice using communication skills
GEMS™ classification and POSITIVE APPROACH® to CARE, LLC techniques, strategies, and overall approach to care were created and developed by Teepa Snow and Positive Approach, LLC; and
GEMS and POSITIVE APPROACH are trademarks of Positive Approach, LLC.
Course materials, refreshments and lunch are included in the course fee
Pre-registration is required, register early! Class size is limited
Video/audio taping of courses is prohibited
Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the course. The course fee will be charged if cancellation is made in less than 24 hours. Registration is transferable to another person.
About the instructor
Karen Lilla, RN, MSN, is the Director of Education at Health Counseling Services. She is a registered nurse, with over a decade of experience in the community health field. She has taught a variety of courses at HCS to adult learners, including CPR/First Aid, Mental Health First Aid, and Medication Administration. An enthusiastic and knowledgeable instructor, Karen delivers course material in an engaging and approachable way, allowing students to gain confidence in both their knowledge and skills.
This course provides 8.0 clock hours.
If you are interested in having a course presented at your facility, CLICK HERE to contact Karen Lilla.