Dual Diagnosis: Intellectual Disabilities and Mental Illness
Next Course Date
No dates currently scheduled. Please check back or contact us if interested in scheduling a private class.
A client with a dual diagnosis of intellectual disabilities and a mental illness often becomes the focus of conflict and frustration in community settings. When these two distinct diagnoses are applied to one person, it may be difficult to distinguish which models of care are the most effective for these clients.
In this course you will explore:
- An overview of various mental illnesses
- A foundation for exploring the world through the eyes of their clients using imagery and videos
- General information on the mental health system, including the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness
- Realistic goals for clients with a dual diagnosis
- Healthy ways to set emotional boundaries in order to refresh and empower staff
This introductory course is designed for direct care staff working in community settings with people who have intellectual disabilities and a mental illness. This course is also helpful for social workers, case managers, and job coaches who do not have a background in mental health.
- Course materials, refreshments and lunch are included in the course fee
- Pre-registration is required, register early! Class size is limited
- Video/audio taping of courses is prohibited
- Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the course. The course fee will be charged if cancellation is made in less than 24 hours. Registration is transferable to another person.
About the instructor
Karen Finck, APRN, CNS, is an expert in psychiatric nursing. An engaging speaker, Ms. Finck lectures throughout Minnesota on mental health topics. She adeptly uses humor and presents real-life anecdotes from her experiences in the field. She provides not only an understandable theoretical framework, but offers practical approaches as well.
- This course is designed to provide 5.25 clock hours.
If you are interested in having a course presented at your facility, CLICK HERE to contact Karen Lilla.