Dementia Training: Positive Approach to Care
Date(s) - 11/17/2021
8:30 am - 1:00 pm
This dementia training, Positive Approach to Care, will improve participants’ ability to interact positively and effectively with people experiencing dementia or a related condition.
- Compare and contrast normal aging versus not normal aging related to various cognitive functions
- Describe the five sensory input and processing systems, highlighting the dominant role of vision, and the major differences between protective and discriminating sensation in each
- Discuss the impact of changing sensory awareness and processing as dementia progresses.
- Use the GEMS™ to facilitate positive, supportive communication between the care giver and the person being cared for.
- Analyze and respond to unmet needs that lead to distress or challenging behaviors as the disease progresses.
- Describe effective combinations of multi-modal helping techniques, emphasizing use of preserved abilities.