This highly complex illness strikes people early in life during late adolescence or young adulthood. It is a challenging, frustrating and often poorly understood disorder. Schizophrenia causes disturbances in thought often accompanied by frightening delusions and hallucinations.
Video and audio recordings depicting the symptoms of schizophrenia will be presented, offering an opportunity to more thoroughly understand the obstacles faced by people with this complex mental illness. During this course, we will also discuss:
- The process for diagnosing schizophrenia,
- current research, and
- the course of this illness.
Interventions to maintain the individual’s highest level of functioning and prevent psychotic episodes are explored through role-play and case study. We will also discuss the use of psychotropic medication and other treatment approaches.
- Course materials, refreshments and lunch are included in the course fee
- Pre-registration is required, register early! Class size is limited
- Video/audio taping of courses is prohibited
- Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the course. The course fee will be charged if cancellation is made in less than 24 hours. Registration is transferable to another person.
About the instructor
Karen Finck, RN, MS, CS, is an expert in psychiatric nursing. An engaging speaker, Ms. Finck lectures throughout Minnesota on mental health topics. She adeptly uses humor and presents real-life anecdotes from her experiences in the field. She provides not only an understandable theoretical framework, but offers practical approaches as well.
This course provides 5.25 clock hours.
If you are interested in having a course presented at your facility, CLICK HERE to contact Karen Lilla.